Yep, I’m driving down a beautiful, colorful, tree-lined street in old Key West and a chicken runs across the street. As if the bikes are not hard enough to dodge, now it’s chickens! They are everywhere!
I’m on my first “vision board” adventure. I flew into Miami yesterday…the first time I’ve flown in about 30 years. Thankfully, I met the sweetest young lady (a student at a Chattanooga girl’s private school) who answered all my old lady questions. I was very impressed with 16 year old Carmen.
The Miami airport is not for sissies. I had to remind myself several times that I was on an adventure…and one shouldn’t cry on an adventure. Lol. It was massive. I know I walked 5 miles before I got my rental car.
Some things I’ve learned:
- Key West doesn’t really have a beach.
- There are about 20 “keys” between Miami and Key West.
- The Keys are really still recovering from Hurricane Irma. Looks a bit like what I imagine a third world company looks like.
- Always insist on a rental car agency INSIDE the airport.
- Sitting in the middle seat during a flight sucks…especially is you’re not a twig.
- Yes, you can totally travel with only a carryon. Rolling clothes really does make for more space.
- If it’s ever an option, always choose Hilton. The customer service is divine. I’m a sucker for good customer service.
- If you can finagle the “government rate” you might save a lot of money.
- What you save in hotel charges, you will spend in parking fees in Miami. No free parking anywhere.
I’m off to the Dry Tortugas tomorrow. So excited. It sounds amazing. I’ll keep you updated.